Peak Ace on Air Episode #21: International outreach
As promised last week, the topic of this’s week Peak Ace on Air episode was international outreach. Dominique presented the best practices and the pitfalls to avoid in order to make your content campaigns work in an international setting too. There’s a lot to take into consideration but here are some key takeaways:
- Make it clear to the other person why they should be covering your story.
- Use these best practices for outreach:
- Take time to find the right prospects
- Make sure the content truly has value for the foreign target audience
- Make the pitch easy to scan by including only relevant information
- Communicate the added value to the recipient
- Follow up
- Adapt the pitch if you’re not receiving any replies
- Don’t give up!
- Common mistakes to avoid:
- Not opening the outreach email with the most important information
- Insufficient research into the journalist and the media outlet they represent
- Overestimating how newsworthy your campaign actually is
- Overcomplicated explanation of the concept
- Not following up
- Giving up too soon
- Not answering media requests fast enough
Dominique also presented some examples of outreach emails which were sent to certain bloggers. The bloggers had shared their thoughts on the content of these emails, pointing out what they thought was wrong with the pitches, and what they liked about them. The most important feedback: if the recipient can sense that this email (except for the first name) has been sent to hundreds of others using copy-paste, it will be deleted immediately.
Last but not least, Dominique covered some differences and similarities between outreach for the German and UK markets, as well as the findings from Muck Rack’s “State of Journalism 2019” survey. Hint: you can call up German journalists but please, please never ever call people in the UK. Anyone. They won’t even pick up a phone call from the Queen herself.
The full presentation can be found below:
In addition to perfecting national and international outreach, we at Peak Ace (or mostly just Bastian) are busy taking part in various hybrid and virtual events this year and the next. If you want to learn more about all things SEO from us (i.e. mostly just Bastian), we recommend checking out the following events:
- 25th October Bastian will talk at Search Seekers, which organises monthly online events about different search marketing topics (in German).
- 30th October he’ll take the virtual stage again at the SEO Next Gen virtual event. It’s a free 4-day event and you can register for it here.
- 5th November is SEO-Day in Cologne, currently a hybrid online-in-person event (as long as in-person gatherings are allowed by November)
- 12th-13th January 2021 the Search Engine Journal’s virtual SEJ Summit takes place. Bastian will do a joint session on topics including co-web vitals and web performance, with a classic Bastian Grimm deep-dive into technical SEO.
- Next year, end of March, early April, SMX Munich takes again place and we will be there as well.
And finally, a Peak Ace job alert: we are hiring for multiple positions! So if you’re looking for the next step in your career (or know someone who does), please take a look at our open positions. We are also hiring for non-German-speaking roles, so check those out, too.
Next week Peak Ace on Air will take a break, so we will return on the 3rd of November. The topic for the new episode will be published on our channels on Linkedin and Facebook later on, so make sure to give us a follow to stay up-to-date!